Pages

Thursday 14 March 2019

Opening lines (english work)

The opening lines to a book are crucial. It can either hook a reader in, making them want to continue to read, or it turns someone away. Below are 4 opening lines that I wrote.


  1. “Security breached,” The monotone voice said, as sirens start to squeal. The thief reaches into the broken case unfazed by the alarm, shoves the book in his bag and takes off down the long marble hall lined with artistic paintings. The thief takes a sharp left towards the fire exit. He makes his way to the car hidden in the alleyway and the car door opens instantly.  The minute the thief enters, it takes off with police sirens blaring behind them as they drive off into the night. (Note this one actually is kinda finished short story, kinda not)
  2. "The hail fell down to the Earth as if it were a drummer boy banging on his drum, the lightning cracked across the sky. She felt as if it she had a thin layer of ice on her face, the thin gloves she used to protect her hands against the cold weren’t working. She knew she had to follow through though, she had made a promise that she was destined to keep."
  3. "I looked onward as the fire continued to blare, smoke forcing itself onto what was once a blue sky."
  4. "It all began with a dream. The dream prophecies talk of. The dream of the woman in white."

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Molly!

    I really enjoyed reading your openings, they are very interesting ideas and showed your creativity! Maybe next time, you could work on the show, not tell more. What you have done is great, but maybe go deeper into the opening as it starts off the story. How did you come up with the concept of the "woman in white" in the last opening? I think that it is a beautiful opening and I am honestly curious about how you came up with such an amazing idea! Again,I really enjoyed reading this because of the amazing work you did with the hooks. Maybe pictures could help make the post more alluring to the eye?
    Great job!

    -Nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadia!

      I came up with the idea for the last one through another story idea I had but because I couldn't figure out the plot I never wrote it. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my blog!
      -Molly

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.