Pages

Wednesday 27 February 2019

This week (technically last week) in home economics: Breakfast Muffins

Last week in home economics we created breakfast muffins. The end product came out well and the recipe was simple to follow. 


Breakfast muffin recipe
Ingredients
1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 an onion - diced
2 Slices of ham
4 Cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 cups Self raising flour
1 Tbsp Parsley - chopped
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Grated chesse
1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
1/2 cup Milk (add a couple of extra tablespoons if needed)
Salt and black pepper for taste

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 185C on fan bake and spray muffin tin with canola spray.
  2. Heat oil in a pan and saute onion for 3-4 minutes or until onion is soft. Once done set aside to cool.
  3. In a large bowl combine tomatoes, flour, parsley, cheese, paprika and season.
  4. Add cooked onion and use fold technique. 
  5. Whisk milk and eggs together and fold into other ingredients until combined.
  6. Spoon even amounts into each muffin tin and bake for 12 - 15 minutes until golden and puffed.
Bonus
To make a nice herb butter to serve muffins with combine 50g of butter and 1tsp of chopped parsley. 

Folding technique 
The folding technique is a type of stirring where instead of stirring with a wooden spoon you fold with a metal spoon. It's easier to show than explain it through writing so below is a video of how to fold.:
            

Reflection
The good things
I think that everything went fairly well. My group worked well together in my opinion and thought that the muffins came out well. The muffins were delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I also might make the herb butter next time because I think it would tasted really nice with it. 

The bad things
Nothing really bad happened. I mean there were a few bumps such as me not putting the muffins in long enough but they only needed an extra 2-3 minutes. Someone did accidentally turn off another groups oven so I'll have to make sure that my groups oven is on every now and then so it doesn't happen to us. Other then those two things nothing extreme happened to my group and everything ran smoothly.

Overall
I really enjoyed making this recipe. It was simple and I learnt things such as the folding technique, how to tell when batter is done in the oven, and a few other things. I like how the recipes we've been doing are easy to change and you can replace ingredients or remove them to your liking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.