Pages

Wednesday 20 February 2019

SLAM poetry


As part of our creative writing work in English we have to review a piece of New Zealand slam poetry. I chose to review a piece done by Brad McCormick called "I'm not gay but I'd go gay for John Key".


Why I like this piece
I enjoy watching people take the piss out of politicians so I instantly liked the sound of this one. I like how he was able to criticize the prime minister but not make it extremely political and keep it light and funny. I think that the lines "He has the courage to be a leader but to not bother to sound like one" and "With movie execs to give them tax breaks"  kinda sums up what I like about this piece which is the subtle criticism of our ex-prime minister. 

Another reason I enjoy this piece is they way Brad delivers it and the way the words flow. I think this is mostly shown when he says "Tell us about how you care about ordinary New Zealanders". Brad knows when to elaborate and allow the words to roll of his tongue but he also knows when to make a sudden stop like when he says "Protect me from evil beneficiaries who try to take my taxes to buy food."  or he knows when to take a small break in between sentences and just let the sentence hang in the air for a couple of seconds like when he talks about expensive butter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.