Pages

Tuesday 3 July 2018

Look at all those assessments - Drama

What I have learned about performance skills is that it's important to not just use words but also your body language to express emotion.

What evidence do I have of my performance skills improving?
- I was much more willing  and confident in my performing skills, before this I was not.

What do you know about performing arts jobs?
- I know that there is a wide range of jobs in the performing arts, from carpenters to performing, lighting to costume design, etc.

What I am wondering about performing arts is
- Whether I would like to do it in the future and how hard it would be to get into the bussiness

Performing art programs/venues in Christchurch

1. Court Theatre
     - The Court Theatre mainly perform more local shows or shows that you shouldn't take too seriously. They are most widely known for being the home of the Court Jesters, a comedy group, who put on comedy shows and scared scriptless, a late night improv comedy show every Friday & Saturday. Their website doesn't specify what it takes to join but I'm guessing you would have to get in contact with them.

2. Imagine Youth Theatre
    - They do productions sutiable for kids (think cinderella, alice in wonderland) and also offer the oppurtunity for kids and teens to get involved in the performing arts. At the moment there is writer/artistic director Martin Howells, set designer Chris Reddington, lighting design and operator Stephen Brinkhurst, and project director Helen Moran. To start performing with them you'll have to audition usually with a speech, song, or any type of performance. For joining crew you'll most likely need some sort of experince.

3. Showbiz
   - Showbiz usually brings the musicals of broadway to NZ and are usually professionally done. They've done shows such as Mamma Mia!, Hairspray, Evita, and most recently, Wicked. I'm unable to find a set cast and crew so I believe they change it from production to production. Because these are pretty serious productions you'll need to be able to sing, dance, perform, and, depending on the role, have killer vocals. You also need to audition (obviously).

4. Isaac Theatre Royal
    - Isaace Theatre Royal hosts a range of performances, from concerts and musicals to local schools that are participating in dancing like the stars. The cast change from show to show and, again, is not set. I'm unsure about the crew but I'm assuming you would just need to keep a look out for ads from them. You can though join their front/back of house (ushers, tending bar, etc) and you'll need to be reliable and energetic. Experince does also help.

5.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.