Pages

Thursday 7 June 2018

GALAXYS ARE REALLY COOL



So for this weeks I wonder topic I'm gonna be talking about galaxys and what we know about them.

First off Google says a galaxy is a cluster of millions and billions of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravatational attraction. There are also 6 types of galaxys: Barred spiral, irregular, spiral, peculiar, elleptical, and lenticular.Image result for types of galaxies

Our galaxy is the milky way is classified as a barred sprial galaxy.

Image result for the milky way
The milky way
The milky way is not our only galaxy though, the Andromeda galaxy is the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way. The Andromeda galaxy is also a sprial galaxy and it is also the closet galaxy to Earth.

Back to the milky way now. The milky way is called the milky way because Romans called it "via latea" which translates to "road of milk". The Greeks called it "galaxias kyklos" which is "milky circle".




P.S - There are 1 billion trillion known stars in the observable universe which is really cool.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool Molly, great job! I didn't know that there were different types of galaxies! I wonder, is there a reason they are each different colours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Molly, I learned a lot from your post, I had no idea there was so many stars out there. I mean I knew there was a lot but 1 billion trillion?! Damn. I wonder if there is any more life inside those galaxies? That'd be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Molly! You have included some interesting info here. From your blog post I have learned that there are 1 billion, trillion stars in the observable universe. This makes me wonder how many stars there are in total, including the ones we cannot see. What do you think about this? I enjoyed reading this post, I can't wait to read the next one.
    - Nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't know how many stars in total there are as we are unable to see them. Sometime in the future though, when there are even better telescopes, then we'll probably find more stars.

      Delete
  4. Great job Molly Idid not no how many types of galaxies there are in the world and the facts are interesting to learn and I did not know who called the milky way that name

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.