Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Metal Technology


I began Metal Tech in term 3 and it lasted for roughly 10 weeks. We were creating balancing
toys and were encouraged to work independently and to ask for help from others within the class.


Did I finish?
Yes I managed to finish my balancing toy but it did take me a while. The problem is I accidentally created a design flaw in the weight by adding too much weight at the top. This caused my toy to be unable to balance.  

What did I enjoy?
I enjoyed learning new skills and improving already learnt skills. I also enjoyed looking at my progress from week 1 to present, it satisfied me to look at a finished product that I put time and effort into. Welding was also extremely enjoyable.
                                                                                                                                                              
What did I learn?
 I learnt many useful skills such as using the countersink, engineer's blue. I also learnt how to use a file effectively and proper names for various sizes of metal ((flat bar, wide flat bar, round bar, etc) and that addressing them as such makes it far more easier to find than just asking for "that metal bar that we're using". I also learnt about PPE so that's pretty useful.

What was a challenge for me?
 Not being so anxious about welding was a bit of a challenge. Welding made me very nervous as I couldn't stop thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong (clothes catching fire, something wooden catching fire, etc). Now that I've done it I would gladly do welding again. Unfortunately I don't have any photos or videos of me welding put I do have photos of the metal I had welded (I already started filing it so that's why one side looks nice).


What did I think of welding?
Surprisingly I found it quite easy and enjoyable. I was nervous at first but I overcame those nerves and figured that I might as well just get it done and over with.


What am I better at now?
I'm better at welding and I'd probably say filing as well. I wouldn't say I was terrible at filing before but now I can do it more efficiently and quicker. I've also become more confident and willing to try new things 

What would I do better next time?
Next time I'd probably think more thoroughly about my design as to not end up with any design flaws. I'd also file around the areas where I welded so it would look a but more smoother and cleaner looking. It would also allow the spray paint to actually stay in the  areas where I welded.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.